Your destination is decided and you’ve started to plan your move Moving to another country involves dealing with hard stuff and your belongings may be part of it. Here you’ll find some tips on that.

Consular certificates

If you are planning to import or bring any vehicles or personal goods as part of your household move, particularly if you intend to apply for any duties/tax exemption, among the documents you need to bring from your origin country, some are issued by the corresponding local Portuguese consular representation, namely baggage certificates, certificates for vehicle importation, and residence certificates. Requirements and processing times to obtain these certificates differ between consulates. We recommend that you plan ahead and that you contact the removal firm assisting you for detailed information.

Importation of vehicles

Vehicles with foreign license plates are authorized to circulate in Portugal, with appropriate vehicle and driver documentation, for a maximum of 183 days. Vehicles exceeding this period and which have not been legalized in Portugal, may be confiscated and treated as an infringement to tax law. If you are importing a vehicle when transferring your residence to Portugal and you fulfil specific requirements, you may apply for tax exemption. Laws, procedures, deadlines and documentation are very strict, specific to each particular circumstance, and the process starts before you and your vehicle leave your origin country. We recommend that you plan ahead.

Contact Us